Villa Doria Pamphili park
Villa Doria Pamphili, with its 184 hectares , is one of the most important and extensive historical villas in Rome. Enlarged in time thanks to the continuous land acquisitions among their neighbors, the house retains many traces of the succession changes from the seventeenth to the nineteenth century. Country residence of the Pamphili family, under Pope Innocent X (1644-1655) took on the appearance of a luxurious country manor. The acquisition of Villa Corsini at Porta San Pancrazio, which took place in 1856 by the Prince Andrea V Doria Pamphili, represented the last major expansion of the Villa. In 1939 the City of Rome started the first expropriations, and the Italian State purchased it in 1957; of the existing 184 hectares they were acquired by the City of Rome in 1965 and in 1971, finally making it possible since 1972 the public opening of this wonderful park. The opening of Via Leone XIII (the so-called "Via Olimpica"), for the Olympic games of 1960, has divided the complex into two parts: the east sector is the richest monumental evidence with buildings and historic gardens, fountains, furniture, and the west side is the "wilder" and more qualified area naturalistically speaking.